What is The Element?
In 5th and 6th grade at Friends Church, our goal in life groups is to make the “big church” small. We carefully place students in groups of 8-10 (same gender groups) lead by 1-2 trained adults who meet once a week to study God’s word, hang out, encourage, and pray for each other.
How do I get placed in my The Element Life Group?
First, register online by clicking the button below. When you fill out your online registration, you will be given choices on what kind of serve team that you want to be a part of. You can choose your preference and we will do our best to accommodate your needs and make sure you get placed in the group that is the best fit for you.
When & Where do The Element Life Groups meet?
The Element Life Groups start in late September and conclude in May and meet on Wednesday nights from 7-8:30pm in the MPR located on the upper campus.
Who will my leader be?
The Element has incredible, trained, adult volunteers ready to serve and mentor 5th and 6th grade students. Each leader has been through an application process that includes fingerprinting and a background check. From college-aged leaders to parents, we have a dedicated team that loves God and they are ready to serve your students. They serve students because they WANT to and because God has called them to be a part of the The Element Crew. Life Group leaders are there to encourage, teach, guide, and partner with you as you lead your family to love Christ.
What will my preteens have to commit to?
Belonging to an The Element Life Group is a great experience and a privilege. We ask that Element students who sign up for Life Groups commit to the following:
- Complete an interview on September 18th after Sunday Services
- Respect the students and leader of your small group
- Respect the space that your group meets in
- Come prepared and equipped with a Bible, pen, and Life Group notebook. We will provide a Bible if you do not have one
- Commit to regular weekly attendance
- Commit to serving in your serve team on the weeks you are scheduled
What Serve Teams can my Preteens be a part of?
WHAT SERVE TEAM CAN I BE ON?
There are four different The Element teams you can choose from. Here is a brief description of how each team will be serving. You will sign up for your team when you fill out the application.
- Assist in leading worship for KidVenture
- Commit to learning and practicing motions for the songs
- Assist in creating yearly worship training DVD
- Plan and implement crowd breakers
- Assist in the decor and design of the room
- Room Set Up/Tear Down
- Serve on rotation as room greeters and write notes to new kids
- Serve on rotation at the Snack Shack
- Kids serve as jr. small group leaders in Preschool – Kindergarten
- Review curriculum weekly
- Prep Small Group Supplies
- Serve as room greeters and build relationships with kids
- Learn how to lead an effective small group
- Review weekly large group lessons and determine what Tech is needed
- Have music playing in rooms where you are assisting
- Serve as Tech team on the weekends
What will parents have to commit to?
- Attend the orientation with preteens the first week
- Be involved in helping your child with their study each week. Review with them what they are learning and help them apply the principles they are studying
- Bring your child to church each weekend to attend one service and serve one service
- Make sure your child is at The Element each week and on time
What do we study?
Being involved in Life Groups is an awesome time to grow closer to God. What better way to do that than by reading and studying the Bible with your friends? Each Life Group is provided with biblical studies geared just for 5th and 6th grade preteens. With a mix of both topical studies and book studies, our leaders tailor each lesson to meet the needs of their individual groups.
How much does it cost?
The registration fee of $40 includes a year’s worth of lessons, a Life Group Notebook, a T-shirt, and supplies for your Life Group leader.
If you register your preteen before September 7, they will have priority registration. This means that they will definitely be placed in a small group by the September 20 kickoff and we will do our very best to make sure their first or second choices for Serve Teams are accommodated. At the First Orientation Meeting on September 10, your child will be given their group assignment, t-shirt, and Bible study materials, along with meeting their small group and leader. It is MANDATORY that parents attend this as well.
After September 7, all students who sign up for a small group are temporarily placed on a waiting list to allow us time to process our priority registrations. You will certainly be placed in a small group, it just might take a little extra time depending on our sign-ups and availability of leaders. Please be assured we will do our best to place students in a group ASAP and hopefully before the September 20 kickoff.